[development] Drupal 4.5 unsupported

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Sun May 28 09:18:47 UTC 2006

Dries Buytaert wrote:

>> They will still be able to find them through our web interface to
>> CVS. Maybe they should speak to you about an upgrade...
>>
>> Interested parties wil observe that there aren't any earlier releases
>> than 4.5 listed on drupal.org. Our policy was always to support the
>> latest two releases. If we do support, then we offer tarballs, if we
>> don't we don't.
>>
>> Unless something better comes up, I will remove the files tomorrow.
>
> No, you won't.

Right. This answer was about the only thing that could stop me.

> I don't remember having deleted _any_ old releases.  When did this
> become a policy?  When where the other old releases deleted?  Who
> decided this?

I have absolutely no idea. I had assumed it was you. I know that Drupal
3 and early 4 realeases were not available for quite some time. Probably
before I got access to the infrastructure.

> IMO, it is better to keep old releases around.  People with a clue
> know that these might be insecure.  This is such basic knowledge that
> believing otherwise is almost insulting.

You assume that people have a clue. That might be an error.

> If you deleted old releases (without asking), you deleted the original
> Drupal 1.0.0 and Drupal 2.0.0 release.  These were not in CVS yet.  I
> hope that these are still around!

They are not, but I didn't delete them either. I had removed the Drupal
4.7 betas and RCs and contrary to what you said did not delete them but
only moved them outside the htdocs tree.

> As I mentioned before, with enough people to help, I'd be happy to
> commit patches to the DRUPAL-4-5 and DRUPAL-4-6 branch.  Whether it is
> officially maintained or not.

I still think this is a bad idea, but your decision.

I have removed most of the 4.5 modules that I released from distribution
as I believe that the only other possibility would be to fix both 4.5
core and the modules.  The first is probably not going to happen and I
have no desire to do the latter.

Cheers,
    Gerhard