[development] shared database solutions

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Mon May 29 20:31:38 UTC 2006

Op maandag 29 mei 2006 18:43, schreef John Joseph Bachir:
> My dream is to come up with a sustainable solution for sharing a user
> database between Lyceum, Drupal, and MediaWiki. What are folks using these
> days? LDAP? XMLRPC? Hacky custom backend scripts?

I would advice you to go for some form of a pluggable or modular
authentication system. This would not store all the details, but would at
least allow people to develop additional authentication "components".

What Drupal has, is a hook (PHP function), that gets called when people try to
authenticate (not all details are worked out as good, but its concept is
great).

In the mean time you might want to look at some of Drupals authentication
modules: http://drupal.org/project/Modules/category/74

If you are intersted in Drupal authentication, you might find some info here:
http://drupal.org/node/32178

On a more personal note (because I'm the developer :) ) you might want to look
at http://drupal.org/node/50946 SQL authentication: A Drupal module that
allows you to authenticate against any SQL table with user information.

Bèr