[infrastructure] Re: [development] Drupal 4.5 unsupported

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Tue May 30 06:49:29 UTC 2006

*** Peter wrote:
>> Dovetailing on Fernando's questions, what can less technical 4.6
>> users do to
>> extend the useful life of 4.6 after 4.8 has hit the scene? I'm not
>> enough of
>> a programmer to adopt and maintain old modules--I'm more a UI and
>> technical
>> writer type at this point. Better documentation doesn't help preserve
>> abandoned code, though, so I'm wondering what users who are non-
>> programmer
>> can do to preserve 4.6 for the years to come.

As I mentioned before, given enough support, I'd be happy to commit
patches against the Drupal 4.5 and Drupal 4.6 branch.

The more users that are willing to stick with Drupal 4.5 or Drupal
4.6, the more likely it is going to be maintained.

You can answer Drupal 4.5 and Drupal 4.6 related support questions in
the forums; that certainly helps to maintain the community around
Drupal 4.5 and Drupal 4.6.  Getting excellent support for Drupal 4.5
and Drupal 4.6 related problems might be a reason not to upgrade.

You can spend time in the issue tracker; test patches, help make sure
that bug reports are easy to understand, and that bugs can be
reproduced easily.  (You don't need to be a developer for this;
testing != developing.)  It lowers the barrier for developers to look
at your bug reports.

Or, if Drupal 4.5 or Drupal 4.6 is really important for you, you can
hire a developer to look at your problem, or to backport security
fixes.  Getting someone to backport security issues looks essential
to me.