[infrastructure] Re: [development] Drupal 4.5 unsupported

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Tue May 30 08:39:52 UTC 2006

On 30 May 2006, at 10:14, Bèr Kessels wrote:
> However "something" horribly broke. during the upgrade all content
> was lost (I
> have backups), and I really did not feel like searching for the
> problem
> longer then 30 minutes. I don't even feel like getting/asking support,
> because the One solution is very simple, and costs ZERO time: stay
> where I
> am. It works perfectly fine, has done so for nearly one and a half
> year. I
> can upgrade. Offcourse I can. Maybe I should. But «Why fix and break
> something that aint broken?»  Only because that allows me the latest
> nittygritty?

Sure, you don't have to upgrade the instant a new Drupal version
comes out, but ultimately, you'll have to upgrade.  Saying that not
upgrading doesn't cost you anything ('ZERO time') is false.  It might
be true in very specific situations, but if you think that this is
true in general, you are being short-sighted.  Re-read Jonathan's
last mails to understand why.  Or consider this simple example: your
current Drupal installation requires PHP version X.  Three years from
now, the PHP team fixes an important security bug.  To keep your
server secure, you'll have to upgrade your PHP installation to
version Y.  Unfortunately, your old Drupal installation will not run
on PHP version Y, and suddenly you are faced with a very expensive
upgrade scenario.