[infrastructure] Re: [development] Drupal 4.5 unsupported

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Tue May 30 09:31:35 UTC 2006

Op dinsdag 30 mei 2006 10:39, schreef Dries Buytaert:
>  Saying that not
> upgrading doesn't cost you anything ('ZERO time') is false.  It might
> be true in very specific situations, but if you think that this is
> true in general, you are being short-sighted.  Re-read Jonathan's
> last mails to understand why.

Yes. But dont forget that maintainance == costing too. (where costs can be
anything from frustration till money). And as long as maintainance costs
little, then upgrading is always more expencive.

Staying with 4.6 for a period of time, also does not mean "forever". Because
as soon as maintainance starts to cost more (for  a 4.5 this will be the
case) then upgrading might be the better option. Depending on the costs of
that upgrade.

I reread Jonathans posts twice, becuase this problem really interests me (I
studied operational engineering: Maintaining and upgrading large technical
facilities such as powerplants) . Translating this to the IT world makes it
even more interesting for me. I made  a large spreadsheet wich shows me when
"maintaining old stuff" is costing me money. As well as how much more
upgrades will cost over time. Outcome: Some sites must stay put, maybe
forever, since they simply generate less happyness ATM then an upgrade will
costs. But others are far better off with upgrading. some even need a mayor
overhaul every release/half year.

and, last, something I havent heard yet, is the Adaptation costs: An upgrade
requires learning new code. New interfaces. Requires education for the
editors. But above all it brings in the chance that you will loose yout
audience, if they dont like what you have brought them after the upgrade.

In any case: All I wanted to say, is that either saying "upgrade or your site
will die" as well as "stay put at all costs, because upgrading costs more
then you might imagine" is shortsighted. Both have just as valid points. Both
are usefull for different people in different situations.

But we are all chiming the same here (or whatever that saying is): No-one
keeps people from running old stuff: Dries does not even mind facilitating
people that want to keep 4.5 going!  While the main focus lies on a
progressing HEAD, to keep that up to date.

Bèr