[infrastructure] Re: [development] Drupal 4.5 unsupported

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Tue May 30 09:58:44 UTC 2006

On 30 May 2006, at 08:02, Jonathan Lambert wrote:
> I personally think that Drupal is moving too slowly!  I worry about
> it falling behind, and other worthy competitors coming out that
> really could give Drupal a run for it’s money.  There certainly
> are, to those of us who follow Open Source and OS CMS particularly,
> a number of possible competitors.  It’s really important that we
> keep adding new features, and Drupal is headed towards some major
> architectural changes, which I doubt will be backwards compatible,
> and which are necessary in the near/mid term to keep the platform
> viable as a development platform.  I’m really looking forward to
> seeing this community in action!!

As Darwin said, it's not the strongest organisms that win, it's the
most adaptable.

This applies to the Drupal project in general, but also to each
individual Drupal installation.

It is why we will break backward compatibility if we have to [1], why
I keep hammering on the fact we need to make Drupal easier to develop
for [2], and ultimately, why we need to make it easier for people to
upgrade.

I have given this quite a bit of thought lately, and I really think
it is _that_ simple.

  [1] http://buytaert.net/backward-compatibility
  [2] http://buytaert.net/complexity-is-a-disease