[development] Improving drupal.js

Nedjo Rogers nedjo at islandnet.com
Wed May 31 04:31:42 UTC 2006

There's a lot of interest among the AJAX/Javascript group at
http://groups.drupal.org/ajax-developers in putting some energy into
improving the good Javascript beginnings we made in 4.7. Ideas include:
introducing a Drupal namespace, refining some of our implementations,
improving event handling, registering behaviors, isolating effects so
they're accessible to effects libraries. There's interest as well in the
potential of adopting one of the leading js development libraries (jQuery
http://jquery.com/, Prototype http://prototype.conio.net/, etc.) as a
development base.

To this end, we're considering a drupal.js Drupal Enhancement Proposal,
http://groups.drupal.org/node/603, and have started a working group at
http://groups.drupal.org/drupal-js. timcn has begun to sketch in a proposed
approach at
http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/modules/drupal.js/. I
also posted a note to the jQuery mailing list about the possibility of
jQuery being available under GPL or LGPL and got an encouraging response
from jQuery author John Resig, see the thread "Would you consider making
jQuery available under the GPL?" at http://jquery.com/discuss/2006-May/, in
particular http://jquery.com/discuss/2006-May/001414/.

If you'd like to contribute, please wade in with your comments and
suggestions on the draft DEP, http://groups.drupal.org/node/603, and join
the drupal-js group.

Cheers, Nedjo