[development] death to "x.y.z" version is now inevitable

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Wed Nov 15 05:00:17 UTC 2006

On 14-Nov-06, at 10:02 PM, Moshe Weitzman wrote:

>> 6.x-dev vs. 5.x-dev is great, as it clearly defines "this is
>> something that should get fixed in this release" vs. "this is
>> something we should put off until the next release."
>
> isn't that basically what status=postponed means? we should remove
> 6.x-dev or postponed, IMO.

Hm. Maybe. I like 6.x-dev because then it's already logged against
the correct version; I don't need to go back and re-activate feature
requests when HEAD un-thaws again.

"postponed" I like to think of as a "this change is way too big, and
needs more thinking, so let's postpone it until we can focus on it
properly" vs. "It won't get in this release, but it's a relatively
minor change so people might want to conceivably work on it before
HEAD formally un-thaws." Further, the "postponed" status can also be
useful for other, non-core issue queues (I use it in my modules'
issue queues to mark issues either that I don't plan to fix right
away but will entertain the idea at some point in the future, or
those that I don't can't fix until I fix some other blocker bug).

So basically, both seem like they have their place.

-Angie