[development] Looking forward next year and PHP versions

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Wed Nov 15 15:37:41 UTC 2006

On 11/15/06, Larry Garfield <larry at garfieldtech.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 November 2006 08:31, Greg Knaddison - GVS wrote:
> >
> > It's more than shared hosts - RHEL4 uses 4.3.9.  It still gets
> > security updates through the RH backports system and will continue to
> > for years to come.
>
> Yes, but is that real 4.3.9 or is that "Red Hat's bastardized 4.3.9"?  I've
> learned over the years to simply not trust Red Hat's version numbering to be
> in any way related to the official package version numbering, as they like to
> backport things without changing a version number.
>
> And no, I really don't think we should keep PHP 4 support until 2012. :-)

It's the bastardized one, but they only backport security stuff not
features so it's not really confusing as to what it is.  It's 4.3.9
features plus updated security.
http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_backport.html

And I agree, sometime between now and 2012 most people will move off
of php4.3 and somewhere in there, great, we drop it.

Regards,
Greg