[development] Looking forward next year and PHP versions

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 07:37:10 UTC 2006

On 14 Nov 2006, at 16:54, Karoly Negyesi wrote:
> Unlike the MySQL version, I am not sure at all but here are some
> thoughts.

This sounds like a reasonable plan, but I think we need to re-
evaluate each of these decisions at the relevant time.

The only decision we can make at this point, is whether to drop PHP
4.3 for Drupal 6.  As you can see on [1], 40% of the users are still
on PHP 4.3.  Based on that data, I'd propose not to drop PHP 4.3 at
this point.  Would the facts change during the Drupal 6 development
cycle, we can still decide to drop PHP 4.3 support.

If you look at the trendlines in these graphs, it is clear that it
could take up to 16 months for PHP 4.3 to phase out.  Either way, it
is dangerous to make predictions about how these things evolve, so I
suggest we monitor them in real time and act accordingly.

  [1] http://www.nexen.net/chiffres_cles/phpversion/
evolution_de_php_sur_internet_octobre_2006.php