[development] Looking forward next year and PHP versions

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Wed Nov 15 08:07:39 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 01:37, Dries Buytaert wrote:

> The only decision we can make at this point, is whether to drop PHP
> 4.3 for Drupal 6.  As you can see on [1], 40% of the users are still
> on PHP 4.3.  Based on that data, I'd propose not to drop PHP 4.3 at
> this point.  Would the facts change during the Drupal 6 development
> cycle, we can still decide to drop PHP 4.3 support.

Yeesh.  I didn't realize how far behind hosts were in that regard.  Any idea
if it would be safe to require a later PHP 4.3.x (.9 or .10)?

I would also note that does not preclude a safe-backport of selected PHP 5
functions a la PHP_Compat, as chx suggested.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson