[development] Preparing for 5.0 string freeze

Neil Drumm drumm at delocalizedham.com
Wed Nov 15 18:26:40 UTC 2006

Angela Byron wrote:
> a) A large patch, or series of patches, which "clean up" translated
> strings; stuff like getting rid of \' and change t('<p>blah...') to
> '<p>'. t('blah...') and such. Which would be best? One patch per file,
> or a large one that just makes these minor changes everywhere?

If one change is questioned, then the whole patch is held back until
resolved. If there was one big patch, then nothing is accomplished. But
if there are smaller patches, then the others may continue through. Do
whatever works best for the situation.

> b) Reading of error messages, help text, field descriptions, etc. for
> clarity. If something's not clear, we need patches submitted to make it
> more clear.

Maybe not for this release cycle, but at some point I'd like to see
written standards for all of these. An example from elsewhere is
"Writing Good Alert Messages" in Apple's Human Interface Guidelines,
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/XHIGWindows/chapter_17_section_6.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000961-TPXREF23.

> c) An answer to question posted @ http://drupal.org/node/92992: Should
> we remove the "You can" links from module help? And if the answer's
> "yes", then patches to make that happen. (my personal vote is for "yes"
> since those bloody links were the bane of my existence when I was
> writing those help handbook2helptext scripts back in the day).

A more important issue is figuring out how to get the 'more help' links
back on pages like admin/content/comment. The old linking code depended
on paths, which all changed. Has anyone posted a patch for this?

> Also, anyone have a sense whether the next release of HEAD that's rolled
> will be another beta release or whether it will be a release candidate?
> I'd love to get an approximation of how much time I have to work on
> these issues (and also if anyone's interested in helping).

I haven't thought much about this. I've been reviewing patches and
making graphs instead.

--
Neil Drumm
http://delocalizedham.com/