[development] Looking forward next year and PHP versions

James Gilliland neclimdul at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 20:10:48 UTC 2006

On 11/16/06, Karoly Negyesi <karoly at negyesi.net> wrote:

> > is there a simplexml backport ?
> > in PHP_Compat ?
>
> How there could be? The necessary language elements are not there. See for
> example http://www.ister.org/code/simplexml44/doc.xhtml

Did I hear DrupalXML library?

But seriously, simpleXML is great.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that would
like to start taking advantage of it.  If we want to continue supporting
php4(which I think is necessary) and we want simpleXML then maybe we should
write our own library that degrades to something like the system linked by
Karoly.  That way we have a common interface and we can take advantage of
the benefits of simpleXML.  And if we take some care in designing the
library it will make conversion to simpleXML at php4 EOL fairly easy.