[development] Drupal 5 installation language files

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Fri Nov 17 21:52:31 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, [ISO-8859-1] Konstantin Käfer wrote:
> the new Drupal 5 web installer also provides a way to select the language for
> the installation before doing anything like database setup. I'm wondering if
> Drupal 5 ships with translated installation or if that's just an interface
> for custom distributions.
>
> Should we include installation translations? If so, we should call for
> translations once the string freeze is in effect.

I don't think Drupal is supposed to get shipped with installer
translations. The matter of fact is that users will expect Drupal to work
in the language used in install time. There is not yet a solution for this
to work nicely (ie. create the language an import the whole big
translation in install time). I intended to code something for this, but
it was very late in the release cycle, and feature freeze broke in.

So for now, as far as I see, people will be able to download Drupal 5 and
the translation, copy the installer.po file to the relevant folder, and
enjoy installing in their native language. Then import their PO file the
usual way.

We can experiment with providing translations as install profiles (without
Drupal core itself, only a profile file and a simple module to do the auto
installation of the translation). That would (migth) simplify initial
interface translation.

Gabor