[development] Drupal 5 installation language files

Konstantin Käfer kkaefer at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 17:10:29 UTC 2006

Hi,

you make good points, Gabor.

> for example there is no ungzip functionality in Drupal built in,
> and there will be no such feature in the foreseeable feature IMHO
I think that could be solved. phpMyAdmin is using GZip as well and I
had it on lots of different servers and none of them didn't allow me
to download/upload (g)zip files.

> Module translation imports should be done around the same lines as
> module database table creations go. Why import aggregator module
> translations if I am not going to use it? Now we don't have the
> tables, but will still have the translations imported. So the first
> point to look into is putting the PO files into the module folders
> per module (as the info, install and other files are there).
Correct. Since we split up the module's tables to their install
files, we should do the same for language files. However, we need a
good way of handling this without getting too complex. Currently, a
downloaded translation is one big file. While this is good for
importing it (you don't have to upload say 20 files), it's polluting
the translation tables in the database.

> It is possible to package the PO files so that they have the
> modules folder structure, so if you unzip them into the Drupal
> folder, the PO files fall into their proper place (including the
> installer translation file).
This may work for certain configurations, but not for all. If you
copy a folder "over" another, it will get replaced instead of merged
on Mac OS X.

Konstantin Käfer – http://kkaefer.com/