[development] RFC: letting modules phone home to check for new releases

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 07:56:25 UTC 2006

On 22 Nov 2006, at 16:27, Bèr Kessels wrote:
>  When The installer was discussed, I explained my plans in rahter
> great
> detail. At that moment I could hardly show code. I could only show
> where I
> wanted to head and explain (which I did) why I thought that
> framework route
> was the one to take. People, including Dries, clearly indicated
> that this was
> not the desired route at that time: Drupal needed a web-based
> installer ASAP,
> not a framework in some future.

I don't remember saying any of that, but my memory has failed on more
than one occasion.  However, I do remember advocating the need to
play nice with installers like Debian's and Gentoo's.  My opinions on
this issue have been very clear for at least 6-12 months -- that is
plenty of time to align your work with that of core.

Of course, you're more than welcome to work on Sympal.  There is
nothing wrong with that.  :)

> So here are my plans:
> * Move all my scripts to capistrano. It makes no sense to reinvent
> the wheel
> (sympal PHP scripts are a Drupal-specific PHP version of a much
> more mature
> Ruby system called capistrano)
> * During that time, keep on using the scripts, so possibly I will
> integrate
> the new profile/distro stuff in PHP, before moving over to capistrano.

Have fun! I haven't looked at Capistrano, but we can't require people
to install Ruby.  Then again, if this is only meant to be used by a
small subset of power-users, it might fly.  For various reasons, I'd
prefer a PHP-based solution though (eg. maintainability).