[development] RFC: letting modules phone home to check for new releases

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Thu Nov 23 12:28:57 UTC 2006

Op donderdag 23 november 2006 08:56, schreef Dries Buytaert:
>  Then again, if this is only meant to be used by a
> small subset of power-users, it might fly.  For various reasons, I'd
> prefer a PHP-based solution though (eg. maintainability).

Yup, me too.

However, it seems to become more common over time. You will notice the Ruby
(on rails) enabled webhosts popping up all over the place already.

As said elsewhere in the thread, capistrano is not something to be installed
on the server, but rather on a client. So the server neds no Ruby, the client
needs that.

Add to that, the fact that wordpress, Joomla! and most RoR apps are
capistranised, and you can see a great opportunity.

But all that in consideration, dependency on another language has two issues:
we need to have people in the dev teams who speak such a language, and we
will be requiring a lot more for a simple installation.

Still, I think capistrano is very well suited for the task, it seems to become
a sort of de-facto standard in deployment-land and it has all the stuff
running and working, while such a PHP application is not even existing.

More links and investigations for Drupal capistrano on
http://groups.drupal.org/node/1461

Bèr
--

Drupal, Ruby on Rails and Joomla! development: webschuur.com | Drupal hosting:
sympal.nl