[development] RFC: letting modules phone home to check for newreleases

Nathaniel Catchpole NCatchpole at brookehouse.ac.uk
Thu Nov 23 10:02:45 UTC 2006

Re the command line php idea. I've been using one host for a couple of
months which does chrooted ssh, and absolutely won't allow wget at all.
I could see that kind of command line php update being useful in that
situation (not sure how common it is though), but if wget is available
then it really doesn't take long to do it that way.

The awkward thing is shared hosting with no ssh, but apart from the
permissions/security issues, IMO taking the need to ftp up and down from
people would just end up deskilling, leading to more problems long term.

Nat

--
Confidentiality: This email and its attachments are intended for the addressee only and may be confidential or the subject of legal privilege. If this email and its attachments have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy them, distribute them or show them to anyone.
Please contact the sender to notify them of the error.

Security: Security Warning:  Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that e-mail is not a 100% secure communications medium.  We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us.

Viruses: This email and any attached files have been scanned for the presence of computer viruses. However, you are advised that you open any attachments at your own risk. Please note that electronic mail may be monitored in accordance with the Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practices) (Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of B6 Sixth Form unless explicitly stated otherwise