[development] ENOUGH!

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Thu Nov 23 18:32:41 UTC 2006

On Nov 23, 2006, at 9:54 AM, Dries Buytaert wrote:

> Anyway, I hope I clarified Karoly's words for you.

Karoly's rant is fairly counter-productive in my opinion.  Guilt is a
lousy motivator.

The last major release took 13 months and it was a complete mystery
to even the most intimate observers when or what was necessary to get
4.7 out the door.   There's little understanding in what it's going
to take to get this release out, unless you reviewing the issue
queue.  Out of 80 000+ accounts on Drupal.org how many unique hits
are there to the 5.0 core issue queue?

Leadership is often about communication and having a consistent
message to rally supporters.  Regularly publishing a list of critical
bugs to the developers mailing list and to the front page of
Drupal.org that indicate what's necessary to get beta 2 out the door
would be helpful.

It's also important to keep in mind that I don't know anyone who runs
Drupal core.  So enthusiasm for getting 5.0 out the door is as much
about waiting for contributed modules to be ported to 5.0 as it is
about getting core out.  Right now there's about approximately 70
contributed modules which have been ported to 5.0.  There is upgrade
documentation and a new module upgrade module all of which support
the the 5.0 sites people will actually use, and will actually be
motivated to fix.

So if someone is ranting about core, and creating no patches for
core, and doing no testing of core they still might be very active in
moving the Drupal community to 5.0.  That's because they are porting
contributed modules, using the upgrade documentation, testing
upgrading tools, and basically tackling the hardest part of using
Drupal.  Participation comes in many forms and all deserve respect.

To assist in this effort I am happy to volunteer to write a post of
the front page of Drupal.org with a list of the issues necessary for
Beta 2, and include links to the 70 contributed modules which should
be tested with 5.0 beta 1.  Just help me identify the remaining
issues for beta 2.

Cheers,
Kieran