[development] tagadelic 'backport' for 4.7

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Tue Oct 3 19:01:17 UTC 2006

Op dinsdag 3 oktober 2006 19:50, schreef Boris Mann:
> I haven't understood why you wouldn't just, essentially, release a new
> 4.7 version with more features. Are there schema changes?

'Till today, there is no database stuff needed for tagadelic, so hook_update,
nor any .install tricks will help. (its a tableless module)
What I am afraid of, is my changed APIs. Anyone whom either calls tagadelic
APIs in a block, his/her own modules, themes, php-pages or whatever home-made
code, will be faced with a broken site if he/she runs a CVS up of the stable
DRUPAL-4-7 branch, if I were to replace that version with the one from HEAD.

I have been hit by this several times myself (most notable: I broke 40 sites
last month because suddenly the 4.7 image module was changed completely, it
took me a whole night of database-poking to get it streight again). So I
strongly and firmly beleive that a once-released module should only get
bugfixes and never, ever release completely overhauled code on that same
tag/branch. A new version belongs on a new 'place'.

 PGP ber at webschuur.com
  http://www.webschuur.com/sites/webschuur.com/files/ber_webschuur.asc