[development] Aggregator to nodes

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Thu Oct 5 15:23:10 UTC 2006

On Thu, October 5, 2006 12:27 am, Boris Mann said:
> On 10/4/06, Rob Barreca <rob at electronicinsight.com> wrote:
>> Khalid B wrote:
>> > - aggregator2 had a lot of momentum earlier this year, and is 4.7
>> > compatible
>> > but not branched for 4.7 so far.
>> >
>> I've used aggregator2 quite a bit in the past with great success in 4.7.
>> Recently, I've had a couple clients try to use agg2 and say that it was
>> incredible buggy. Following the issue queue, the author seems to have
>> gone AWOL and the module is in disarray. It's got a lot of potential and
>> with some direction and love I think it could be very worthwhile again.
>>
>> There were talks of moving all RSS parsing code to an API module which
>> makes a lot of sense. I think for agg2 to be successful again, the RSS
>> code should be externalized and a few of the major bugs would need to be
>> squashed.
>
> There are a bunch of us that have been looking at this recently.
>
> Please see https://svn.bryght.com/dev/wiki/DrupalFeedParsing for a
> summary.

How remarkably timely!  I've been looking for something along these lines
myself lately.  Your findings re aggregator and aggregator2 pretty much
match my own, althogh I'd not heard of Feedparser or Feed_node.  I was
also looking into publish/subscribe, but found it buggy.  (Automatic push
didn't work, and apparently hasn't for months.)

What we need to do, essentially, is selectively expose subsets of event
nodes on site A to sites B, C, and D.  On B, C, and D, the admins need to
be able to set the sticky flag on stories independently of the main site,
so that each site gets its own set of "featured" stories.

Would either feedparser or feed_node be capable of that, and are either
stable enough for production use for that use case?  If not, is one or the
other close enough that we (my company) could help (code or money) getting
it to that point?

--Larry Garfield