[development] Changes to your 5.0 .info files

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Fri Oct 6 05:26:12 UTC 2006

James Walker wrote:

> On 5-Oct-06, at 12:10 PM, Earl Miles wrote:
>
>> 2) We now have package grouping on the module administration page.
>>
>> If your module is part of a multi-module package (ecommerce and CCK
>> are super obvious choices) then adding:
>>
>> package = ecommerce
>

> Is the intention here to tie these to the categories in use on the
> module download page? Anyone written up (or given thought to)
> guidelines here? Any relationship between packages and dependencies?

No; I've always believed (personally) that the categories used for
finding and downloading modules is completely unrelated to the
categories used when administering modules on your site. For one, you
will have a LOT fewer modules on your site than you download; and for
two, the primary use of the package is so that modules that are packaged
together can be listed together, or so that modules that are meant
specifically for use with other modules can be listed with that module.

There is, in fact, no real relationship between packages and
dependencies beyond the fact that they both exist on the modules page,
in the .info file, went in about the same time, and often modules in a
package will have cross dependencies on each other.