[development] Why Drupal 5.x must have built-in WYSIWYG Editor?

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Fri Oct 6 14:21:10 UTC 2006

On Friday 06 October 2006 08:05, Michelle Cox wrote:

> While I don't agree that Drupal needs a WYSIWYG built in, I do like this
> idea. If I'm understanding right, it's basically a hook to call whatever
> editor the user has installed or a plain text area if none. From my non-dev
> perspective, that sounds like a useful thing. Would be especially nice if
> there was a way to make it so that, for example, my users get BBCode and I
> get QuickTags. And that they only show up when editing the main text of a
> node.
>
> Michelle

There was a thread in the issue queue recently about adding a flag to
textareas that the module author could apply or not, which RTEs (TinyMCE,
FCKeditor, etc.) could then hook onto to decide where they should or should
not be used.  I agree that's a better solution than bundling an RTE in core,
but I think even that much was told "get out of core and be a contrib
module".  That I disagree with, as it's a marker that really needs to be
standaridzed to work properly, and core should acknowledge that need.  I
don't know why there was such resistance to it.  The current code freeze,
though, means that it can't go into core at this point anyway. :-(

(OTOH, I'd consider the expandy-textarea thingie to be something that should
be an RTE module, even if it is in core and on by default, esp. since it's
exclusive with other RTEs. <g>)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012