[development] a bikeshed color problem

Jeremy Andrews jeremy at kerneltrap.org
Mon Oct 9 17:43:47 UTC 2006

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 16:44:47 +0800
"Augustin (Beginner)" <drupal.beginner at wechange.org> wrote:

> I don't understand the technology used by the spammers
> (their tools are not Open Source!), how they can use a
> simple robot to post spam from apparently different IPs.

I believe much of the variance in spammer IP addresses is that
they're using Windows "zombies" from all over the Internet.
Essentially, there are countless Windows computers attached
to the Internet that are infected with a virus or trojan that
gives the spammer full access to the computer, and spammers
then use these servers to do many things including sending
and posting spam.

Cheers,
 -Jeremy