[development] Logging of IRC Channels?

James Walker walkah at walkah.net
Tue Oct 10 16:11:46 UTC 2006

On 9-Oct-06, at 7:54 AM, Karoly Negyesi wrote:

>> Como'n, logging a channel does not warrant a ban.  That's just ...
>> stupid.  Get real, guys.
>
> Loggin' privately surely does not, basically every client does
> that. But public? I do think this is a valid request not to publish
> whatever said on a public place. Or do you think the guy who said
> on this channel (was not me) that "i'll be the smartass around here
> if you don't mind. Thx" would like to see this online besides his CV ?

shall I stand up and take credit for that line?

I have to say, I agree with Morbus, that if you don't treat your
online communications as being for public consumption you're being a
bit naive. I've logged every IRC channel I've ever been in for
several years, and at times have published stats and portions of logs
publicly. I expect in IRC that others are doing the same.

Please don't create silly rules on my behalf :)
James Walker :: http://walkah.net/ :: xmpp:walkah at walkah.net