[development] Drupal 5.x Installation is Bad!

Drupal Indonesia support at drupal-id.com
Thu Oct 12 00:59:59 UTC 2006

> On 10/11/2006 2:28:52 AM, Drupal Indonesia (support at drupal-id.com) wrote:
>> Now, how can Drupal 4.7.3 create tabel for me if the db username has no
>> rights to create table?
>> Isn't that a security risk?
>> Or just remove the db username (with create DB rights) after fresh
>> installation. Simply.
>
> Creating tables and creating databases are two totally different animals. As
> said in other responses, creating a database takes a higher class of user. On
> my host, creating a DB must be done through their version of cPanel so Drupal
> couldn't do it anyway. Plus, you don't always want Drupal to use a new
> database. Many people use a DB that's shared with other apps.
>
> I think the installer in 5.x is a great improvement as it creates the _tables_
> for you. That's a much harder task than making a database, especially if you
> use prefixes. Not creating the DB doesn't make it bad at all.
>
> Michelle

Hi Michelle,

The solution is very simple, but we must agree first that the new installation
should be as easy as possible while the security concern still the best :)

Here:
1. On the installation screen say: "You must enter a db username with creating
DB rights, otherwise please create the DB first"
2. Step #2: Drupal installation checks if the DB is exists, if not then create
the DB.

Simple, right?

This is not new techno, I see many CMSs have feature to create DB.