[development] Usability: module idea

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 15:27:21 UTC 2006

On 14 Oct 2006, at 16:30, Jeremy Epstein wrote:
>> betas but leave it out once the final release ships.
>
> Shipping this module only with beta versions is the only acceptable
> way to do it, IMHO. No way should any users be having a module such as
> this enabled on a live site - it would be almost as bad as having the
> devel module enabled (and accessible to all users).

No need to debate this point.  I specifically said it was a tool to
allow beta testers to provide feedback and that it would not be part
of Drupal 5.0.0 final.  Much like the devel.module is for developers,
this tool would be for testers.  Providing tools for testers is a
Good Thing, regardless of how much it makes you think of WinXP crash
reports.

> I don't really like the idea of an application "bugging" me for
> feedback about itself.

We are not bugging you.  We are bugging beta testers.

> We can gather information that in the long run
> will improve the usability of Drupal, but we should consider that the
> information-gathering tool itself is a hindrance to usability.

This is aimed at beta testers.

> It could also result in people thinking of Drupal as an "annoying"
> application, and the fact that users are being asked to send
> information to a central server could also lead to a lack of trust in
> Drupal's commitment to privacy.

Ditto.  I skipped the rest of your e-mail because it continues the
same path.  All based on an incorrect fact.