[development] Slight API change in 4.6.10 and 4.7.4

Michelle Cox mcox at charter.net
Fri Oct 20 13:35:43 UTC 2006

On 10/20/2006 8:19:21 AM, Dries Buytaert (dries.buytaert at gmail.com) wrote:
> That said, we're open for suggestions, and we'll take these into
> account in future.  Also, if you want to play an active role in the
> security team, you can sign up by sending us an e-mail.

My suggestion would be to add a note about the potential to break sites in
the teaser on the front page. It's unusual for a security update to cause
problems and people might just grab the tar without opening the full post.
Yes, you can argue that it's their own fault for not RTFM, but a short
warning in the teaser might save people a lot of headaches.

I certainly don't want to bash the security team and think they're doing a
fine job. But I must admit that I, a non-dev site admin, am still confused
about the potential problems. There was a long list of "maybe problem maybe
false positive" modules in the email from Heine and I still haven't upgraded
my sites because I'm afraid of what might break. Given that I'm a contrib
addict, the odds of my site breaking are a lot higher than of it being
hacked so I'm waiting until more information comes through on the contrib
module status.

Thanks,

Michelle