[development] keeping an eye on old versions

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Fri Oct 20 14:50:30 UTC 2006

Op vrijdag 20 oktober 2006 15:33, schreef Dries Buytaert:
> As of Drupal 4.7, each release cycle will have a dedicated
> maintainer.  Gerhard maintains Drupal 4.7, Neil will maintain Drupal
> 5.0, and I'm on the outlook for a Drupal 6.0 maintainer.

This is not an official proposition yet :). I need to give it more thoughts.

But Heine and chx asked me if I am interested in maintaing 4-6, which  am,
since I run about 7 sites on 4.6 wich I dont want to upgrade (I don't have a
reason to, but thats a whole different story). I have a hosting platform
where I still run 4.6, untill the owners have budget to upgrade these sites,
so I 'need' 4.6 rather often.

Hence I started http://groups.drupal.org/drupal-4-6-maintainance

I wouldn't mind becoming the maintainer for 4.6, especially if there are
enough people willin to carry that version together. But biggest issue is
that my plate is full, too full. So in the case that I were to maintain this
version (I am by far not sure if I am deemed the right person first of all!),
I'd need to drop at least half of my contribs (approx 8); most notably
flexinode. And I would most probably need to hand over maintainance for
themes.drupal.org to someone else. I think we should continue this particular
fork in the discussion on infrastructure. :) I am not yet askig anyone to
volunteer for taking over any of the above-mentioned though :), lets first
see what needs be done first :)

Also, I would like to know:
 Are there more people willing to spend less-voluntary time on 4.6
maintainance. It's really not much, but we would need hands and eyes in case
of sec. holes found. I am not 100% available for Drupal. Sometimes gone for
days or weeks (deadlines and stuff).
 Are there more people willing to randomly eyeball patches. And/or backport
patches. It makes little sense to maintain a 4.6 branch if no-one is actually
doing that maintainance.
 Are there more people interested in a maintained Drupal 4.6 in
general. 'Being interested' meaning: yes I still run it, and would be happy
if its maintained somewhere.

Bèr
--
 [ Bèr Kessels | Drupal services www.webschuur.com ]

Drupal repareert drie lekken, waarvan één kritiek:
 http://help.sympal.nl/drupal_repareert_drie_lekken_waarvan_een_kritiek