[development] keeping an eye on old versions

Fernando Silva fsilva.pt at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 12:59:11 UTC 2006

Hi Bèr

(NOTE: you probably remember me from posting some code on Flexinode area)

As some people know, two month ago I pushed the number of bugs/features
within 4.6 from 8 pages to 2. I was a quite bit annoyed that some of the
patches and questions were not being address by senior developers.

I also have too many drupal 4.6 sites with custom code to upgrade them to
drupal 5 (for me 4.7 was a really bad release, that I decided not to use),
and I have in the present moment 8 projects to be worked, where at least 4
will still be done with 4.6

This means that I have time to test patches, and backport some code from
newer releases to 4.6 (for example, I made some hacks to contact.module to
have a captcha, or even I made some hacks to have contact.module work with
i18n)

I know I am not the best person to maintain a release for two factors:
* I do not have the best english to describe, explain and argument (and a
person should have a good english to make a point)
* I am not in the level like chx, Bèr, Killes, beginner or others. I know
that I have still too much to learn to have strength to maintain a release
like 4.6 (the most stable and complete release so far)

I want to help:
* checking and testing patches
* backporting some features that I really needed
* try to optimize the 4.6 version where it can be done: for example 4.6 does
not run with mysql 5 and I really don't know why; or it still has cache
problems, that some other people still report against about 4.7 and 5.

Best regards,
  Fernando Silva