[development] Update on 5.0 core themes

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Sat Oct 21 14:17:31 UTC 2006

Stefan Nagtegaal wrote:
>>> Stefan
>>> Main developer of ThemeTastic (which isn't based on
>>> any other theme
>>> at all, because I _do_ have inspiration)
>>
>> Contributing to a free, GNU software project
>> inevitably means people will borrow ideas.  You do
>> give up ownership of your ideas to benefit the
>> community, to some extent.
>>
>> If he's borrowing things from your theme and being
>> inspired, consider it a compliment. ;)
>
> Zirafa, with all do respect I don't care how you think about this.
> It's not the fact that the theme inspires him, it's more that he
> litterally stole the icons without even asking/informing me about it..

Stefan, since you are contributing under the GPL, maybe you care about
what the GPL says about notifying the original author about reuse of his
work. It is not a requirement of reuse, so omitting it does not imply
"literally stealing" stuff. You should get prepared that if your theme
gets into core, or it "just" gets popular without getting into core,
people will borrow from it and port it to other CMS products in the
spirit of the GPL. Without asking/informing you about it.

Look at the available versions of eg. the Wordpress default theme. It is
popular, it was getting modded, modded versions were released, and
people are happy about it. If you are building a popular theme released
under the GPL, you are directly walking on the same road.

Gabor