[development] Drupal Modules and Linux Distros

Seemant Kulleen seemant at gentoo.org
Wed Oct 25 10:06:55 UTC 2006

Hi Everyone,

So, there's been talk for a while in Gentooland of packaging up drupal
modules to offer to gentoo users.  As people are probably aware, the
Gentoo way is to fetch source tarballs directly from upstream sources
and build on the users' boxes.  Drupal modules have historically been
problematic for us to package, however.

The thing is we do digest checking on the tarballs to assure some level
of integrity.  So, once a tarball is released, we count on that tarball
not changing (a change signifies something potentially sinister
happened).  So, I'd like to make a request to the development community
here (especially authors of contributed modules): would it be possible
to change tarball versions when the contents change?  That would help us
in Gentoo to finally bring drupal modules to the Gentoo masses.

Please note that drupal itself suffers no such ailment, and we're very
happy with it.

I'm not sure how other distributions' packagers feel about this issue,
but I'd like to help achieve a resolution here.

Thanks!
--
Seemant Kulleen
Developer, Gentoo Linux