[development] Drupal Modules and Linux Distros

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Wed Oct 25 11:32:01 UTC 2006

Seemant Kulleen wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 12:29 +0200, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
>
>> Our relationship with people packaging Drupal has also been rather
>> problematic. ;p
>
> I hope not with Gentoo...
>
>> Also, before you consider doing any package you should check if your
>> distribution's release policy matches Drupal's. As a result of such a
>> check not being done, Debian ships now with a Drupal 4.5 package which
>> isn't maintained by us anymore.
>
> Not sure what you mean here -- Gentoo tends to be a moving target, so if
> 4.6 gets deemed as the new upstream stable, Gentoo devs tend to follow
> up on that in the distro itself (in most cases, anyway).

Debian has apparently a policy to never add new features to a stable
Debian release, only bug fixes. But since Debian's release cycle is much
longer than Drupal's this leads to problems. Drupal's stable release is
4.7 and 4.5 was released about two years ago.

So if Gentoo accepts new features into its new releases, then this won't
be a problem.

http://drupal.org/node/77562
http://drupal.org/node/90436

>  Also, when will these changes happen?

Soon(tm)

Actually, some have already happened. The rest might happen this or next
week.

Oh, and a final word from me: Please don't simply package modules
*because* *you* *can*. Contrib is not reviewed in any way. Modules may
have serious security holes. Modules may even be abandoned. So first
evaluate the modules you want to package.

Cheers,
	Gerhard, wearing his contrib-CVS admin hat