[development] Documenting contribs

Michelle Cox mcox at charter.net
Wed Oct 25 17:26:55 UTC 2006

I recently looked through the entire list of contrib modules and there's
some cleanup needed.

* Shorter teasers so the download page isn't so huge
* Some modules still need tagging
* Modules that are similar could use "See also's"
* Also, there are a lot of modules that aren't documented in the handbook

A thread on the support list went a bit off topic and I asked there what
module maintainers think of having someone changing their project pages. I
got one response that the maintainer would like to be notified first. I
decided to put this on the dev list and start a new topic to get more
thoughts on this. If you maintain modules and have a bit of time (yeah,
right, eh? ;) could you take a look at your modules and see if the project
pages could use a little work? If you don't have the time, do you object to
someone else doing it? I'm willing to email maintainers before touching
their pages if that's what's wanted.

I also could use some help with this project. I've been saying I'm going to
do it for over a week and haven't done it. Good intentions and all that...
:) If someone wants to help, we could each tackle a part of the alphabet and
then it wouldn't be such a daunting task.  I'm also looking for any
review/comparisons between modules to add to the handbook. If you've had to
decide between similar modules and are able to write up your decision making
progress, let me know.

Thanks,

Michelle

PS: Do you think this should be crossposted to the doc list? It is
doc-oriented, but I needed to put it where maintainers would see it. I don't
like crossposting unless people think it's warranted.