[development] Drupal Modules and Linux Distros

James Walker walkah at walkah.net
Wed Oct 25 17:43:33 UTC 2006

On 10/25/06 12:24 PM, Dries Buytaert wrote:

> On 25 Oct 2006, at 13:47, Konstantin Käfer wrote:
>
>> To be honest, I can't really see the point in providing Drupal with a
>> Linux distribution. Most users won't need it and those who do are
>> usually skilled enough to do that themselves (at least they are using
>> Gentoo and not Windows). Packaging contrib modules doesn't make that
>> much sense to me as well because it's just unzipping a tarball into
>> the modules directory (or wherever you install the module to). The
>> actual installation has to happen inside of Drupal anyway.
>
> We have a lot of people that install Drupal using Debian's apt-get.
> Having to download and un-tar 10 tarballs is a pain.  Also, Gentoo
> automatically recompiles Apache, PHP and/or MySQL if certain features
> are missing, and might as well configure Apache.  In short, there are
> many good reasons to support packagers like Gentoo, and I'd like to see
> us actively support them (eg. don't re-create tarballs, upgrades from
> the command line, etc.).
>
> It is sad to see this discussion side-tracked.  The purpose of this
> discussion is NOT to debate why packagers exist (that is not what
> Seemant asked for), but to figure out how we can better cooperate.  The
> world doesn't care about your opinion about packagers; whatever it is
> you think about them, they are not going to go away.  So if you're not
> going to help make Drupal better for packagers, don't add noise to the
> discussion either.  It would be a waste of time and bits.  Thanks.
>
> Seemant: as mentioned, the repackage issue will be fixed in the near
> feature.  Anything else that we could do to make things easier on your
> side?  If so, I'd love to learn more about it, so we can work on it.

FWIW, I'd love to see drupal become more package system friendly as
well. Just because debian proper has a release cycle that doesn't work
well with Drupal's doesn't mean that a drupal apt-repository isn't
possible. And, as discussed here, gentoo could benefit a lot from drupal
packages. There are a *lot* of benefits to having your drupal install
maintained in the same manner as the rest of your system.

So, +1 - and a big thanks to dww (et al) for all the hard work he's done
moving us in this direction.

James Walker :: http://walkah.net/ :: xmpp:walkah at walkah.net