[development] Drupal Modules and Linux Distros

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 16:24:32 UTC 2006

On 25 Oct 2006, at 13:47, Konstantin Käfer wrote:

> To be honest, I can't really see the point in providing Drupal with
> a Linux distribution. Most users won't need it and those who do are
> usually skilled enough to do that themselves (at least they are
> using Gentoo and not Windows). Packaging contrib modules doesn't
> make that much sense to me as well because it's just unzipping a
> tarball into the modules directory (or wherever you install the
> module to). The actual installation has to happen inside of Drupal
> anyway.

We have a lot of people that install Drupal using Debian's apt-get.
Having to download and un-tar 10 tarballs is a pain.  Also, Gentoo
automatically recompiles Apache, PHP and/or MySQL if certain features
are missing, and might as well configure Apache.  In short, there are
many good reasons to support packagers like Gentoo, and I'd like to
see us actively support them (eg. don't re-create tarballs, upgrades
from the command line, etc.).

It is sad to see this discussion side-tracked.  The purpose of this
discussion is NOT to debate why packagers exist (that is not what
Seemant asked for), but to figure out how we can better cooperate.
The world doesn't care about your opinion about packagers; whatever
it is you think about them, they are not going to go away.  So if
you're not going to help make Drupal better for packagers, don't add
noise to the discussion either.  It would be a waste of time and
bits.  Thanks.

Seemant: as mentioned, the repackage issue will be fixed in the near
feature.  Anything else that we could do to make things easier on
your side?  If so, I'd love to learn more about it, so we can work on
it.

(Thanks for Gentoo.  I'm a long time Gentoo user.)