[development] Counting .info files [Was: Documenting contribs]

Thomas Barregren thomas at webbredaktoren.se
Thu Oct 26 19:45:28 UTC 2006

Boris Mann wrote:
> On 10/26/06, Thomas Barregren <thomas at webbredaktoren.se> wrote:
>
>> If we are encouraging people to edit each others module description (or
>> handbook pages for that matter), I would very much like to see an
>> opportunity to register for an e-mail upon change, very much like how it
>> works on Wikipedia. In that way, a maintainer (or any other interested)
>> would automatically be informed every time a change is made. That is
>> particularly important to make it possible to see small changes which
>> otherwise could go undetected for a long period of time. I also would
>> like to see reversion management of the pages, again very much like how
>> it works on Wikipedia. What do you other guys say?
> <snip>
>
> Handbook pages get edited all the time, and it shows up in your
> tracker.

Yes, but that wasn't what I was talking about. I was seconding inkfree's
position that anybody should feel free to improve any module description
even if they aren't the maintainer. But as contributer of a module, I
would however appreciate to know if the description of the module was
changed, so that I can review such changes, and if necessary correct any
mistake. But on the other hand it isn't feasible to ask for instance
Michelle to send a notice herself for every little change she does. It
was therefore I venture to think how nice it would have been if at least
the module maintainer would get an automatically notice if anybody has
made a change to module's description. It's no big deal. Just a rash
thought.

> Revisions are already there for all nodes, which you can see if you
> are a site maintainer.

Yes, but again that wasn't what I was talking about. I am the maintainer
of RoleAssign <http://drupal.org/project/roleassign>, but I havn't
access to previous versions of the description I have written. It's no
big deal. But if we are encouraging people to edit each others module
description, I thought it could be a good idea if at least the module
maintainer, who after all is responsible for his/her module, would be
able to revert any change if necessary.

Regards,
Thomas