[development] Data API

Metzler, David metzlerd at evergreen.edu
Fri Sep 1 15:25:21 UTC 2006

I would humbly disagree that themes would be considered the view level,
or that forms represent the model level in MVC.  I think originally you
could argue that the node api represented the model level, and that
moving crud into the forms api represents a blurring of MVC and not a
step towards that.  That is the primary debate that's being waged here,
whether we need separation of data manipulation from the controller.

I personally would like to avoid creating a ddl in drupal.  One of the
things that make's drupal work is how agile the loosely coupled, loosely
typed system is.

The $forms arrays are collection of controls.  I'd love to see them stay
that way.  right now forms posting and validation are accessed via
simple array constructs.  I'd like to see them stay that way.

I agree that form_validate, form_submit, node_save, and node_delete
functions (when used in crud) are really model work, especially the way
they are used in 4.7.  I think a lot of whats bothering some is that
they're getting dependent on the forms api, and that dependency may
cause inflexibility down the road.

I agree that defining fieldsets, checkboxes, etc. have no place in the
model portion of mvc.  And having to set up those contructs provide
extra cruft for programatic manipulation of data. (that's the forms
dependency part creaping it's head).