[development] {Short issue queues need care - 7} Why we shouldn't close all issues without proper review.

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Tue Sep 5 22:49:59 UTC 2006

On Sep 5, 2006, at 9:02 AM, Angela Byron wrote:

>> 1. People have the habit to request features for the Drupal
>> version they use, instead of requesting them in the HEAD. We could
>> have a way to stop users from adding these requests to versions
>> other than HEAD
>
> Sure. This option should be added as a patch to Project module:
> http://drupal.org/project/issues/project

not to nit pick, but this should really be a feature request for the
Project issue tracking module, instead:

http://drupal.org/project/issues/project_issue

;)  that said, it's going to be a little tricky to do this in a way
that's not entirely specific to drupal.org's use of project issue
tracking.  we'd have to somehow provide a way for project owners to
specify what categories are valid for each version of their project.
keep in mind that in the new world order of releases, there could be
N branches where new features are valid requests...  the drupal core
project itself won't have this problem, but i'm not interested in
hard-coding this behavior into the project_issue codebase and having
a special-case hack for the drupal core project...  so, if you're
going to post the feature request about this and work on a patch,
please keep this in mind. ;)

back to the original point of this thread: i strongly agree w/
Augustin's position that we should *not* just blindly close all the
issues older than a certain date relative to a certain version, etc.
issue queues are sorted by most-recently-touched by default, and you
can easily ignore pages 2-N if you don't want to worry about the old
stuff.  but, by automatically closing issues, we definitely lose a
lot of info, and make it harder for the people (like augustin,
myself, and others) who have whatever bizzare disease it is that
makes us anal about cleaning up old issue queues. ;)  there's been a
lot of progress on this cleanup work already (thanks in large part to
augustin's efforts) -- let's just keep that going and see where we
are in 3-6 months.

thanks,
-dww