[development] node type without a title?

Jeremy Epstein jazepstein at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 12:10:52 UTC 2006

On 9/7/06, Augustin (Beginner) <drupal.beginner at wechange.org> wrote:

> Is it possible to programmatically create a node type without a title?
> In that case, the title being used in node listing as a link to the node, how
> would we link without a title?
>
> Is the code above ($type->has_title = TRUE;) the blueprint for some future
> development in the next cycle?

It is theoretically possible to create a module-defined node type
without a title, yes. For user-defined node types, the code currently
in HEAD does not allow for either the title or the body fields to be
removed - but module authors are not so restricted.

However, I doubt that a node type without a title field would work
very well in practice, because of the 'title' field being used in so
many places, such as in the node listing links (as you pointed out).

To tell the truth, I wasn't that impressed with the whole 'has_title'
thing - the CCK module in contrib only uses 'has_body', and I don't
see why we also need 'has_title'. It was already in the pre-CCK patch
<http://drupal.org/node/62340> when I started working on it, and I
just left it in there (I had plenty of other things to fix up with
that patch).

Chx, perhaps you can answer?

Cheers,
Jaza.