[development] New Core Theme for 5.0

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Tue Sep 12 19:31:33 UTC 2006

Thank you for doing this, Farsheed.

My main comment would be about the contrast. On my LCD monitor, the
content text seems almost fuzzy to my eye. I think gray text is not
advisable, especially for a default theme where usability should be
job one (with aesthetics a close second).

Some specific thoughts:

I like the little icons, especially if they're named semantically
(and thus intuitively easy for someone to replace) -- it's a great
way to distinguish different content types.

Calling tax terms "related" does not seem intuitive to me.

It might be nice to incorporate the color scheme into the tables
display, such as the forum page. As it is, it looks like an ugly gray
box plopped into the page, a legacy styling that I think offers an
opportunity here, perhaps drawing on what you did for the books.

Main nav I like. Subnav, too.

:hover feedback on the submit buttons would be nice. (Something like
the main nav.)

:hover on the links -- The fainter text may not be the strongest
choice. (I find it almost illegible when hovering.) The main nav's
hover is darker. It would be nice to emulate that in the text links.

A little padding under the title might be nice. I look at the Contact
page and the text tucked right up under it seems a bit crowded.

On the fixed width, overall I think the main content column runs too
wide. I'd prefer another 30px or so margin between the nodes and the
sidebar.

Overall, this is a nice step past Bluemarine without abandoning the
Drupal-blue branding.

Best,
Laura