[development] Changes to capitalization

Arnab Nandi arnab at arnab.org
Wed Sep 13 20:23:12 UTC 2006

On 9/13/06, Neil Drumm <drumm at delocalizedham.com> wrote:
> Arnab Nandi wrote:
> > page/block/etc titles should ideally be named uniquely...
>
> Page titles are in no way used as a unique identifier.

Please read what I wrote, and in its entirety.

> >  Plus, deciding what to capitalize is too much work for
> > the developer brain.
>
> I think any brain capable of juggling functionality, security,
> scalability, and code style can properly capitalize some phrases.

There are 38 large-sized emails on this thread within the last 20
hours, most voicing their opinions about what form of capitalization
to choose. I think this is a quantified example of my point. Let's
shift over to capitalization, and we'll have an entire handbook
section devoted to it, with examples, and discussion forums debating
over which alphabets to capitalize.

> The default cases have to be consistent, and hopefully the most correct
> for most people. Titles which are not consistent, capitalized or not,
> will simply be rejected in core. It is the same as the policy I have of
> not committing form #descriptions which are not complete and punctuated
> English sentences.
> The availability of ways to cover up mistakes isn't an excuse to make
> them. Drupal core (and contributed modules) should stay consistent
> without extra abstraction layers which can cause confusion about why
> what you typed isn't what is output.

Sure, I agree. My opinion is that lowercase is the simplest to
maintain over such a large international developer base.  Introducing
uppercase opens up a minefield of variations - CamelCase,
hungarianNotation, andWhoKnows_what_else. The intention of sticking to
lowercase implies that only the text is important - NOT it's case.
Have it in uppercase for all you want.

The choice of a framework often depends on what's easiest to work with
(and this does not mean WP : i mean it from a devel's perspective).
Having to deal with trivialities such as these would frustrate any
serious newbie.

As an aside, I would also like to point out the existence of many,
many languages spoken across the world which do not have the concept
of Uppercase, which is an artifact unique only to a very very small
subset of the languages in this world.

-Arnab