[development] Suggestion for people releasing new modules and themes into CVS

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Thu Sep 14 15:09:59 UTC 2006

Now that I'm less tired... :-)

Actually, it's a little of neither.

1) HEAD is a moving target, for any module.  That comes with the territory.

2) I've noticed that some modules will be updated for a new version, but
not get tagged for it for some reason.  Or maybe they're 90% updated and
then, for whatever reason, the maintainer stops working on it so it's not
really compatible with anything.

3) Given #2, if I see a module that has recent activity in HEAD but no 4.7
tag, I can't tell if that's because it's not fully updated for 4.7 yet or
if it is but the maintainer is just lazy/busy/forgetful.

4) Some module descriptions say things like "right now it doesn't work
yet" or "it now works with 4.6", but the module itself is 3 years old.
There's no indication when "right now" is.

Given #3 and #4, it's not always easy to tell a module's status unless.

Solution:

A) If you're going to put comments like "right now it needs some love" or
other temporally-dependent comments into a project description, please
*date them* so that we know when "right now" is.

B) Status information ("Upgrade for version X in progress") is useful, but
only if it's kept up to date and is accurate.  Even "does not yet work
with" is an important piece of information that can save people a lot of
time, yet takes only seconds to add.

C) There was a patch at one point to expose "last updated on" information
about a node to the theme layer in addition to creation time.  I don't
recall if it ever got in, but that would be very helpful information to
have as well.

In all, it boils down to the need for good communication by the module
author on what the status of the project is, beyond simply the existence
of a tag.  There's a lot that a module author can do in a matter of
seconds with their module description to help improve that communication.
That should be encouraged.

--
Larry Garfield