[development] Suggestion for people releasing new modules and themes into CVS

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Thu Sep 14 13:58:48 UTC 2006

Is your point about the temporal nature of what HEAD is? Or about someone
tagging the module for a version while it is not yet converted to the version?

HEAD by definition is a moving target. It means different things at different
times. For example, in April, it was 4.7, now it means 5.0.

So, in any commit, when it says "HEAD" it means "HEAD at the time of
the commit whatever it may be".

Another problem is that we often don't know if the next release will be
an x+1.0 or x.y+1, so we can't say "ported for 5.0" before Dries makes
that decision. This is another case where code names for future releases
will help.

As for people tagging the module before it is ported, this should not be
happening and I can add a point on it.