[development] Module upgrades: status

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Thu Sep 14 17:17:12 UTC 2006

On Thu, September 14, 2006 11:32 am, Derek Wright said:

> On Sep 14, 2006, at 7:51 AM, Dries Buytaert wrote:
>
>> There is now: DRUPAL-5-0. :)
>
> i think larry was talking about such a branch existing on core, so us
> contrib maintainers have a little bit more assurance that the-moving-
> target-known-as-HEAD has settled down enough that it's worth the
> trouble to start porting.  that's definitely part of why i'm not
> touching my modules, yet.  the fact that early adopters *can* branch
> their module for 5.0 is nice, but simply allowing the branch name
> isn't the only issue here.  yes, we're now in a "code freeze", but a
> lot can still happen that might break our contribs... ;)
>
> -derek

No, actually I was talking about something available for contrib authors
to tag/branch their code as, which thanks to Dries we now have.  Yay!

Having what-will-be-Drupal-5.0 settle down a bit helps as well, I agree,
but having a branch for contribs helps (a) encourage people to use it and
(b) helps avoid the "so what IS the status of the CVS tarball?" problem
I've been talking about since yesterday.

--Larry Garfield