[development] code names for core releases?

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Tue Sep 19 20:52:39 UTC 2006

On 9/19/06, Richard Archer <drupal.org at juggernaut.com.au> wrote:
> At 10:07 AM +0200 19/9/06, Derek Wright wrote:
>
> >the indirection is sort of a pain in
> >the ass, and can also lead to confusion
>
> Just in case adoption of release names is a real possibility:
>
> +1 to numbers
> -1 to names
>
> It would be a horrible regression to use names instead of
> release numbers. Sure they're cute and quirky, but we're
> developing software here, not trying to entertain users.

Richard.

The problem is that numbers once chosen cannot change.
If you say the next release is 4.8 and change your mind
because a lot more features made it since then, then you
will impact a lot of places for that (documentation, issues,
...etc.)

The purpose of the name is not to be cute or quirky, but
rather totally meaningless and does not imply anything.
Just a unique label from a large namespace.

If anything, I am against any entertainment value in code
names.