[development] Drupal multi-lingual meeting

Alan Dixon alan.g.dixon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 14:37:37 UTC 2006

Well, I wish I could be there, I hope this happens (the brainstorm, as
well as getting i18n into Drupal core). Here in Canada, most sites I
work on require some degree of bilinguality (English and French, each
one slightly different in their specific translation requirements).

Can I throw in a few ideas?

1. the i18n module was split into two parts in 4.7 - one that just
does multilingual content, and a separate one that does translation. I
think this was a great development because I think the multilingual
part could go in core with less overhead for those not requiring it,
and then the translation could still be a contributed module. Also the
translation part is still funky around the edges.

2. when revisions came out in 4.7 I thought - what a perfect mechanism
for implementing translations - a translation is really just a
revision in another language (a conceptual idea that's not necessarily
a good technical idea, but I thought I'd stir the pot).

3. translating categories - is there a canonical way to do this that
works for all use cases? Specifically: in my multilingual
implementations categories sometimes need separate terms for different
languages, and are sometime language-neutral. That makes for bad
things like applying t() to user-input taxonomies. Or are multilingual
sites always going to be complicated?

4. sorting out string translations. What to do with translating dynamic strings?

I hope someone can post whatever transpires, I'll volunteer for followup.

 - Alan

--
Alan Dixon, Web Developer
http://alan.g.dixon.googlepages.com/