[development] The new menu system

Andre Molnar mcsparkerton at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 26 16:28:39 UTC 2006

A little off topic - but as long as we are talking about changing the
menu system a bit...

About a kazillion years ago I had wondered if we could allow modules to
build 'custom' menus that were outside of the 'navigation' menu tree.

I had proposed adding a few lines of code to menu .inc

http://drupal.org/files/issues/menu_inc_3.patch (a bit out of date - but
you get the idea).

I was wondering if anyone has any new thoughts on the idea of modules
not being so tied to navigation menu. Basically allowing them to build
their own menus that are true menu system menus - (not just navigation
jammed into a hook_block).

At the time of the patch - I had a specific implementation in mind -
where the book module would build a true menu system menu instead of the
way it builds its navigation block.

This concept would still apply regardless of the menu array structure.

Any thoughts?  Any other killer applications for modules building menus
outside of 'navigation'?

andre