[development] Drupal 5.0 Theme - v2

Steven Peck speck at blkmtn.org
Fri Sep 29 01:58:51 UTC 2006

I will mention some thoughts.

1.  12.24% of one of my sites is 800x600.  Some of that traffic is from
people who have old equipment and can't afford new and other is from
large monitors and bad eyesight.  There are still sites out there using
modified versions or unmodified versions of Blue Marine.

2.  I certainly hope we are not considering 'AD' space for the default
Drupal theme.  I really don't want to look at an ad out of the box with
the default base theme.  Or look at the big message that says PLACE AD
BLOCK HERE

3.  The blue color is fine, just to big and dominating.  Perhaps a fade
gradient ala Chameleon and tighten it up a bit.  Something to make it
dominate the content less.  Putting secondary links is fine but does it
go away when there is no search bar/secondary links?  Secondary links to
me are not needing to be huge and overpowering... They are meant to be
secondary, or context sensitive

4.  If rounded corners add DIV's then it should not be done.  Not
because of Morbus' reason of markup (which are perfectly fine reasons),
etc, but from a practicality standpoint of keeping it simple for those
learning how to use Drupal theme's and for those maintaining it in core.

5.  Using JavaScript to round corners has the added benefit of providing
an example of using JQuery in a core theme.  Sides, Steven's comment
about 'all the pastelly rounded corners and soft shadows' when he did
his redesign kind of interesting.

Just my thoughts.
-sepeck