[development] Site credits module

Kevin Reynen kreynen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 20:34:09 UTC 2007

I suggested the equivalent of a phpinfo() page at last Sacramento
Drupal user meetup and it did not go over well.  You'd have thought I
suggested using a common admin password for all Drupal sites instead
of just allowing a site admin the OPTION of showing other people what
modules a site is using.  Someone there (sepeck?) said that enabling
the the Drupal module reports the module sites are running back to a
central server...

"Drupal - Lets you register your site with a central server and
improve ranking of Drupal projects by posting information on your
installed modules and themes"

So someone has the module information for a number of sites, but I've
never seen it.  I don't really buy the "making it easier for hackers"
argument against sharing this information.  Anyone who checks their
logs knows how often bots are scanning their servers for known,
exploitable scripts.  Creating a standard sitemap-like
(http://www.sitemaps.org/) format/location for other developers to see
what's being used and who's doing it would be a big benefit to the
community and IMHO wouldn't be giving the "bad" guys information that
could get another way.

The request to know what modules are popular is a fairly common one
from people new to Drupal.  The response at SacDUG seemed to be that
developers should monitor the issue queue for several months before
installing any module.  That's not really realistic advice for most
people looking at Drupal as a framework for their site.

I don't have the ability to share the information collected by the
Drupal module, but I'd be willing to install a module like this on my
sites.

- Kevin Reynen